It was said that laws were instituted amongst people to keep the peace of the social body, and prevent strife from within. But every now and then, the talented policy makers of a social body will be led astray and pass completely, ridiculous, unnecessary laws that serve no purpose except for looking perfectly preposterous. Below is a list of some of the craziest laws I’ve encountered:
- Hunting camels is prohibited: The United States army did some experimentation with camels in the Arizona desert, but eventually abandoned the project. The remaining camels were set free, and thus, the genesis of the law.
- Any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony: This one is tough to justify. Perhaps they were attempting to discourage gangs from flaunting their colors, or they wanted to protect people against the intimidation factor that must accompany being robbed by a man in a red mask.
- Donkeys Cannot Sleep in Bathtubs: Hard to make a conjecture about the logic behind this law.
- No one is permitted to ride their horse up the stairs of the county court house: This one actually makes sense. We can’t have lawyers flaunting their mares before trial. Indeed, the sight of a man on a majestic horse could sway a jury.
- It is illegal for men and women over the age of 18 to have a missing tooth visible when smiling: This one only applies in Tombstone Arizona and the logic is obvious. Tombstone must have been flooded with vagabonds sporting poor dental hygiene and they wanted to keep the rift raff out.
Indeed, not every statue complies with Lady Justice’s virtues of reason and understanding. But, when an absurd law exists, courts will most likely interpret them with a reasonableness and you will not be charged for smiling without a tooth.