Candle Safety Tips That Every Homeowner Should Consider
Surprisingly enough, many of today’s home fire related accidents are often the result of the misuse or improper use of candles. With that said, there are some basic common sense safety tips that homeowners can incorporate into daily life to ensure candle related fires and accidents do not occur. In fact, one of the most common reasons a candle causes a fire in a home is it was simply too close to some type of combustible material.
Therefore, one of the most essential and basic elements of candle safety is to simply ensure that candles are not placed near furniture, curtains, bedding or decorations. This is especially true when candles are used to generate light in a home. Statistically speaking, more candle related fire accidents occur when homeowners are using candles specifically to generate light. Another important strategy to ensure candle safety is to use an approved and sturdy candleholder. Whether a candleholder is made of metal or ceramic or glass, always ensure that it is solid and cannot be easily knocked over.
As a general rule, candles should be maintained at least 12 to 14 inches away from anything combustible or they could possibly burn. This is a good rule of thumb that can greatly reduce the chances of household items catching fire. In addition, candles should never be used in an area where combustible liquids or gases are present. This includes everything from gasoline containers to medical oxygen. Taking the necessary precautions to ensure open flames are not present under these conditions is essential to ensuring injury and loss of life does not occur.
Finally, one of the easiest ways to avoid candle related accidents is to consider alternative forms of lighting. For example, a flashlight is a far more effective way to create safe emergency lighting that will not cause a fire. Homeowners can even use battery powered flameless candles as a way to create an elegant ambience that does not carry the potential for fire. As an added note, candles should never be left unattended and should always be extinguished prior to retiring for the night. Contact Hastings & Hastings, a Phoenix personal injury attorney anytime there has been injury or loss of life due to the negligence of another person or business.