Request A Free Consultation
Arizona panorama with cacti

Electrical Safety Tips Intended To Reduce Burns And Fire Hazards

January 31, 2015 Hastings and Hastings

Electrical Safety Tips Intended To Reduce Burns And Fire Hazards

Electricity powers the lives of people across the country on a daily basis. However, there are many instances and circumstances where electricity can cause serious problems, burn injuries and even loss of life events. One of the best ways to avoid the potential for injury when it comes to electricity is to consider some basic and essential safety tips that are routinely discussed by electricity safety experts.

Installing The Wrong Type Of Light Bulb

For example, when replacing light bulbs around the home it is essential that homeowners carefully consider the manufacturer’s recommendations in term of selecting the right type of light bulb. From proper wattage to proper bulb size, there are many variables and many factors that must be considered when purchasing a light bulb. Installing the wrong type of light bulb can easily cause a fire hazard. In fact, many fires have occurred over the years resulting in serious damage, injury and loss of life because the wrong light bulb was installed.

Avoiding The Improper Placement Of Electrical Cords

Equally worth considering when it comes to light bulb safety is to never place flammable objects or items anywhere near a working light bulb. Another way to increase safety when it comes to electricity is to avoid running any type of electrical cords under area rugs or other types of rugs. This is a sure way to cause a potential fire. Along with avoiding the improper placement of electrical cords it is also a good idea to replace any electrical cords if they become frayed, cracked or split. This is an inexpensive way of protecting a home and its occupants.

Manufacturer’s Recommendations

Finally, homeowners should always make it a point to avoid overloading extension cords or electrical outlets. This is another common situation that has resulted in many home fires in past years. A standard safety recommendation that has been in place for many decades that is just as important today as it was years ago is to always avoid allowing electrical cords to come into contact with water. Even something as simple as placing a portable radio near a bathtub can easily turn into a potentially dangerous situation. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations when operating any type of appliance or electrical device. Contact Hastings and Hastings today for Phoenix Arizona personal injury lawyer assistance.