Reducing The Chances Of Injury Caused By Toxic Substances In The Home

Home » Reducing The Chances Of Injury Caused By Toxic Substances In The Home

Reducing The Chances Of Injury Caused By Toxic Substances In The Home

While there are many ways to become injured in a typical home environment, nothing can be more threatening than becoming exposed to some type of toxic substance or poison. Many household cleaners, pesticides and other caustic chemicals routinely cause serious injury each and every day across the country. In fact, a large number of toxic chemical exposures that cause serious injury typically occur in the home.

Toxic Chemicals

Much research and many statistics show accidental poisonings in the home are one of the leading causes of loss of life related accidents. Children are particularly susceptible to the ravages of toxic chemicals found in the home. Parents should take the time to ensure all toxic chemicals and poisons such as fertilizers, pesticides and cleaners are always kept well out of reach of children and should be locked away. This can greatly reduce the chances of an accidental poisoning from ever happening. In addition, all toxic chemicals should be clearly marked so there is never a question of what is in a particular container.

Childproof Cap

Parents should also pay particular attention to the type of products they are purchasing. For example, when buying toxic substances such as pesticides it is always important to ensure the product comes with a childproof cap as a way to prevent accidents. Equally important is to ensure that children are always supervised and monitored even when parents are busy cooking or doing other home essentials. Statistically speaking most children get into cabinets where dangerous or toxic substances are located when parents are somehow distracted.

Never Leave Medicine Exposure To Chance

Equally important is to make certain pharmaceutical drugs and other types of medicine are also in a secure location out of reach of children. Even medicines in a purse could be a threat to a young child who is unsupervised. Never leave medicine exposure to chance when it comes to young children. Medicine should always be accounted for and securely stored to prevent accidental injury. As an added note, fireplaces, indoor heaters and other similar items can easily cause a carbon monoxide threat. Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to avoid the possibility of injury caused by carbon monoxide. Contact Hastings & Hastings, a Phoenix accident lawyer if you or someone you love has been injured through no fault of their own.

TOP Rated

What our clients are saying...